Ryan’s operates more than 3,500 vending machines in a variety of locations throughout British Columbia. The company employs approximately 75 full and part time staff and operates nine branches in the communities of Parksville, Kelowna, Kamloops, Cranbrook, Genelle, Prince George, Terrace, Vancouver and Victoria. Started by J. E. Ryan in the 1940’s as a tobacco/confectionary wholesaler, the company grew, changed and prospered under his leadership. In the 1960’s, W. T. Oughtred, son-in-law of the founder, experimented with cigarette vending and quickly developed this division to a point where it was decided to sell the wholesale operation and dedicate all resources to this new venture.
In the late 1980’s, Robert M. (Bob) Oughtred purchased the company from his father. Recognizing the requirement for change due to the social climate of the times, Bob and his partner Glen Jackson, began an aggressive redirection plan towards a snack and refreshment based business. Through tough negotiation and the acquisition of several competitors, Ryan’s experienced significant growth through the late 1990’s and early 2000′s.
In 2009 Bob’s children; Anne, Bill and Rob purchased the business making the company a 4th generation family business. At present, Ryan Company Ltd. operates thousands of vending and coffee machines throughout the Lower Mainland, Northern and Northwestern British Columbia, the Kootenays, Vancouver Island, and in the Okanagan valley including; Vancouver, Burnaby, North Vancouver, West Vancouver, Richmond, Delta, Surrey, Coquitlam, Port Moody, Port Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, Mission, Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Kamloops, Victoria, Duncan, Nanaimo, Port Alberni, Courtenay/Comox, Campbell River, Vernon, Prince George, Terrace, Kitimat, Prince Rupert, Smithers, Kelowna, Castlegar, Genelle, Cranbrook and Penticton.